When you visit Daghlian Pediatric Dentistry & Sokolowski Orthodontics, one of the options our orthodontist will discuss with you is the Damon™ braces system. This innovative orthodontic option is designed to straighten your teeth more quickly and comfortably so that you can achieve the results you desire without a lengthy treatment time.
What Are Damon Braces?
Damon braces are self-ligating, which means that they are specially designed to move your teeth more quickly and comfortably than regular metal braces. This braces system uses a revolutionary slide mechanism which eliminates the need for metal or elastic ties, as well as a high-tech shape-memory wire that requires fewer adjustments. Damon braces are also available in both stainless-steel and clear (ceramic) forms.
What Does Self-Ligating Mean?
To understand what self-ligating braces are, you must first understand how regular braces work. Braces involve the use of brackets and archwires to move your teeth – the brackets are attached to your teeth, and the archwire runs through them to apply gentle force. This archwire must remain secure in the brackets in order for treatment to be successful. Traditional braces hold this wire in place using elastic bands or metal ties. Self-ligating braces, however, use a system built into the bracket itself to hold the wire in place. This system involves the use of a slide mechanism that locks the wire into place, and which allows greater freedom of tooth movement and increased comfort during your treatment.
Pros & Cons of Damon Braces
- A more aesthetic appearance – the brackets are smaller, and – if you receive clear brackets –are nearly invisible
- Reduced treatment time – Damon braces reduce overall treatment time by an average of 7.2 months
- Fewer appointments and less time spent in our office
- Increased comfort from smaller brackets and reduced pressure on your teeth
- The ability to maintain better oral hygiene with regular brushing and flossing
- Damon braces may be more expensive than traditional metal braces
- The metal wire used in your treatment is still visible, even if you choose to receive clear brackets
- You may experience mild irritation while your mouth adjusts to the braces
- In some cases, tooth movement is less precise or less effective in rotating larger teeth
Schedule Your Consultation!
For more information about Damon braces in Newport Beach and Huntington Beach, California, or to schedule a consultation with Dr. Paul Sokolowski, contact our team today!